Sunday, December 18, 2011

the World Wide Web and Christmas Lunch

It's a tricky time of year to begin anything, let alone embark on your first go at online university study. I want to study, I want to drink wine. I feel the first assignment talking to me from the laptop, yet I play in the summer evenings outdoors with the kids....and coming up fast is Christmas away with my family. Crazy days.


Week 3 - and what is the world wide web? threw up all sorts of interesting people.  Tim Burners-Lee who created the protocols and languages of the web and then released it all into the public domain in 1993 is truly one of the most brilliant people I've had the honour to learn about...if you have any interest google him!


So, it's the pages that we SEE that are the web. They use the Internet, well, the Internet's technologies to create an easy to read version of what's out there. When sending an email, looking at a web page we are using the web's applications and the Internet's technologies.


I am also loving the theory behind the web, the ideas around non-linear text - I've never considered that behind the science style intelligence of creating hypertext is a psychological theory. I think I managed to get people at Christmas lunch today excited about hypertext!


The kids and husband are fed and quiet - I might even get that assignment underway right now....


Sarah
x

No comments:

Post a Comment