Friday, July 6, 2012

Heavy reading - Fiske


Part of our reading list for Net102 is Cultural Studies, John Fiske. It's dense and tricky and I really want to be able to glean understanding of his theory of everyday and be able to it apply it in some way to my upcoming assignments.

I was struggling along, and then LIGHT BULB!

I considered bloggers as I was reading through Fiske at 6.30am this morning.  The space a blogger inhabits online is also part of their everyday life. They 'furnish' their site, they use the concept of 'texturing' to create a space that they feel comfortable in in order to share their words online and also a space that people can be welcomed into. Often bloggers decorate their blog with items/images/videos of personal meaning to them, not so unlike the idea from Leal (1990) of the 'entourage' or mini-environment.

I have more of the reading to go, however, just being able to translate some of the reading into a context that I can get amongst has helped me immensely!

How did you feel about the reading?

Back on topic, the essay and how the Internet has or has not altered the way women make decisions and gather information durning pregnancy.

cheers
Sarah

Fiske, J. (1992). Cultural Studies and the Culture of Everyday Life Cultural Studies (pp. 154-173). New York: Routledge.

No comments:

Post a Comment